- This event has passed.
Information Sessions on draft permit for NC Renewable Power in Lumberton
February 17, 2022 @ 11:00 am - 5:00 pm EST
NC Renewable Power incinerates wood chips, poultry litter, and poultry cakes and produces electricity that is sold to Duke Energy. It is a highly polluting facility with major violations and fines issued by NC DEQ. We are sharing this with you due to your interest in environmental and public health and environmental justice across North Carolina.
The two statewide informational sessions will be held at 11:00 am and 4:00 pm on Thursday, February 17th. The Zoom Invite information is below.
We are asking for local, regional, and statewide environmental organizations to:
(1) support our local efforts to stand in opposition to the permit application of NC Renewable Power;
(2) attend one of the information sessions on Thursday and learn about the facility, its incineration process, the pollution that it releases, its plans to expand operations, and the high number of violations, fines, and deficiencies that it has received for not keeping its state permit agreements;
(3) attend and receive information about the DEQ Public Hearing on Monday, call in information, and how to sign up to make comments at the hearing.
(4) sign up to make a 2-3 minute comments at the DEQ Public Hearing on Monday; and
(5) organize constituencies across the state to attend the public hearing to indicate support for local residents in Robeson County and others throughout Eastern NC.
Our Eastern NC counties in the Sandhills and Coastal Plains are overburdened by unregulated and poorly regulated factory farms and the massive expansion of dirty industries that claim to be renewable. They include what is inappropriately called “biomass” and “biogas”. As is said, there’s nothing renewable and “bio” about these false solutions to the climate crisis but “bio harm”.
Here’s the zoom invite information for the optional meetings at 11:00 am and 4:00 PM this Thursday, February 17th:
Topic: NC Renewable Power and Public Hearing Information Sessions
Time: Feb 17, 2022 11:00 AM and 4:00 PM EST
Meeting ID: 305 270 5077
Information to Review on NC Renewable Power
NC Department of Environmental Quality Announcement of the Public Hearing, Call-in information, and information for signing-up to make comments
Submitted by the Local Planning Team
Jeff Currie, Lumber RiverKeeper
Donna Chavis, Friends of the Earth and RedTailed Hawk Collective
Mac Legerton, Robeson County Cooperative for Sustainable Development