- This event has passed.
White House Environmental Justice Advisory Council Meeting (11/18)
November 18, 2021 @ 3:00 pm - 7:30 pm EST
The WHEJAC has a two-day public meeting planned on November 17-18, 2021, being held from 3:00 pm – 7:30 PM (ET) each day. Registration is REQUIRED.
Public Comment Period: A public comment period relevant to the specific issues will be considered by the WHEJAC during the public meeting. Registration to speak during the public comment period will close at 11:59 p.m., (EDT), on November 10, 2021.
Through President Biden’s Executive Order 14008, titled Tackling the Climate Crisis at Home and Abroad (signed January 27, 2021), the White House Environmental Justice Advisory Council (WHEJAC) is being established to advise the Chair of the Council of Environmental Quality (CEQ) and the newly established White House Environmental Justice Interagency Council (IAC) to increase the Federal Government’s efforts to address environmental injustice. The WHEJAC’s efforts will include a broad range of strategic, scientific, technological, regulatory, community engagement, and economic issues related to environmental justice.
This council will advise on how to increase the Federal Government’s efforts to address current and historic environmental injustice through strengthening environmental justice monitoring and enforcement. The duties of the WHEJAC are to provide advice and recommendations to the IAC and the Chair of CEQ on a whole-of-government approach to environmental justice, including, but not limited, to environmental justice in the following areas:
- Climate change mitigation, resilience, and disaster management
- Toxics, pesticides, and pollution reduction in overburdened communities
- Equitable conservation and public lands use
- Tribal and Indigenous issues
- Clean energy transition
- Sustainable infrastructure, including clean water, transportation, and the built environment
- NEPA, enforcement and civil rights
- Increasing the Federal Government’s efforts to address current and historic environmental injustice